Architecture study - part IV (final)
Painting: This is the final part of the post Painting process (wip) following a painting being made session-by-session. And now, finished.
At the time of writing it has been finished for about two months. Read on for more process photos, and to read the last part of the story behind these 100+ hours of paint work...
This is where we left the painting in the previous chapter of this post - after 23 sittings and 88 hours of work:
Below are detail shots from session 24 to 29. There is no need to show the full picture, as all work during these sessions was done on the background buildings: Windows, columns, vertical as well as horizontal lines, and of course finding the exact right colour scheme:
Please click the individual small pictures to see a larger version so you can compare, and identify the changes. Note that on the two last pictures the sky has been lightened somewhat, in order to get the right degree of light around the buildings. Only this way could I be sure that I found the exact right colour scheme for the buildings.
Here is the full size painting after session 29, and after 112 hours of work:
No the painting is almost finished, and time has come to finish the sky section. For that purpose I first masked off the buildings, so that only the sky was visible. Then I added some compass half-circles in order to assist me in the creation of the space-illusion that I wanted:
The next two sessions went on with a lot of experiments, in order to get the exact right look. So, the photos taken at the end of each session do not really justify the amount of work that was done.
In the first sky-session (session 31) I tried several versions of a somewhat "raw" look for the sky, intended to work as a contrast to the very "controlled" linear look of the buildings below. However, I never really liked it, so I opted for a look more like the photo from session 32.
After this, all that remained in order to finish the painting was sanding and washing of the black edge outside the circle, in order to get the underlying abstract elements back, and adding a few clouds. This was done in session 33. Total time spent ended up being around 130 hours.
The two photos below show the painting after the first rough sketch-up, as well as the finished painting:
And finally, here is the finished painting again, this time hanging on a wall with a lacquer coating and a black narrow frame:
Sofar, the working title is "Architecture Study With Abstract Elements". I may change that to something shorter one day.
No comments at the moment